If you have an interest in either trialling any of the new fruit varieties or being considered for other commercial opportunities, please provide your details to the ANFIC office to be added to the Expressions of Interest list being compiled for future trials and commercial developments.
NY2 cv./Rubyfrost Brand Apple
- Braeburn x Autumn Crisp.
- Large fruit size. Block red colour with crisp juicy texture.
- Good sugar levels and moderate acid that provides a balance of sweet and tart.
- Harvest maturity with Braeburn.
NY1 cv./Snapdragon Brand Apple
- Honeycrisp cv. x NY752.
- Medium fruit size, strong red blush covering 80-90% of the fruit.
- Firm and crisp with good sugar levels and low to moderate acidity.
- Excellent eating characteristics.
- Resistance to powdery mildew and fireblight.
- Harvest maturity with Golden Delicious.
TC2 cv. & TC3 cv. Red Flesh Apples
Airlie Red Flesh x Honeycrisp.
- Pronounced lenticels, solid to mottled reddish-pink flesh colour.
- Sweet/tart almost berry like, very juicy, crisp.
- Red flesh colour develops after starch dissipates.
- Very attractive and excellent flavour.
- Harvest maturity late Red Delicious timing.
Available for trial following release from Plant Quarantine. Both tree and fruit production royalties are likely for the following varieties (to be confirmed):
WA38A cv./Cosmic crisp brand apple
- Enterprise cv. x Honeycrisp cv.
- Size medium to large. Red, red-striped blush (55-80%) and attractive, prominent lenticels.
- Balanced sweet/tart flavour, firm with excellent crispness and juiciness.
- Maintains fruit flavour and texture throughout storage, flesh does not brown easily.
- Fruit mature in Red Delicious season, 1-2 picks.
- Fully managed program required.
Jive Apple (GS48 Sport)
- This high coloured red sport of the GS48 (Gala x Splendour cross) produces excellent tasting fruit with a sweet flavour and crisp texture.
- Fruit has 75% bright red stripe over a colour wash skin. Taste tests in south east Asian markets ranked Jive as #1 above all Fuji and Pacific series export apples from New Zealand.
- Harvest maturity is Red Delicious timing.
- Excellent storage apple as well.
SMS Cherry varieties
These new cherry varieties from a California, USA breeding program produce early, high quality fruit and have been planted commercially in California and Washington State, USA.
SMS 1 - is a very promising early cherry in California.
SMS 6 – is early before Chelan, but makes spurs and sutures in California, under evaluation in Washington.
SMS 16 - is an outstanding cherry. It is performing from Kingsburg, CA to various regions in Washington. It ripens a between Chelan and Bing. With a rest breaking agent it can harvest with Brooks. It is very large, some cherries are 36mm and productive like Sweetheart. It is self-fertile, so far nothing troublesome with the variety.
SMS 33 - is ripening near Bing. Large and productive.
Attractive breed with big, dark, strong and sweet fruits.
Origin: Ahrensburg (D)
Parentage: Kordia x Regina
Harvest time: +8 days Bing
Fruit characteristics: Large (30 mm, fruit weight approx. 12 grams), heart-shaped, dark red, firm and sweet fruits. Fruits are larger than Kordia. Long stem, fruit is somewhat crack-sensitive.
Pollination: Not self-sufficient.
Compatibility Group: S1S3
Productivity: Average to high
Growth: Medium, branches horizontal to light upwards growth.
Tree: of high vigor and poise intermediate, well branched, high productivity.
Fruits: big size (11-12 g), cordiform, symmetrical. Peel red bright purple; rosy pulp good texture, fleshy, juicy and very aromatic, sweet with a high level of acidity.
Harvest time: -9 days Bing
Due to the strong resemblance to Kordia, the better productivity and the earlier ripening this is an interesting addition to the cherry range.
Origin: Holovousy (Cz)
Parentage: Kordia x Vic
Harvest time: +6 days Bing
Fruit characteristics: The appearance of Korvic strongly resembles Kordia. Fruit are a bit softer than Kordia. Long stalk with sometimes local visible red pigment which can later color black. The fruits are free from each other by the long stems and are easy to pick.
Blooming & pollination: Not self-sufficient.
Flowering time: mid-late
Compatibility Group: S2S6
Productivity high and regular production. Clearly more productive than Kordia. Tendency to excessive fruit yield.
Besides Korvic, trees are also known as Early Korvic. It is unclear whether it is a different breed or the same race under a different name. The addition 'Early' suggests that Early Korvic ripens earlier than Korvic. However, in independent research, this has not yet been established in the near future.
SMS 290 (Nimba cherry)
Nimba is a very early, self-fertile cherry variety maturing 3-5 days before Burlat. Fruit is large (28-30mm), sweet and firm with a dark red skin. Very productive tree with first fruit produced in year 2. Fruit is kidney shaped, with good flavour and 16° brix.